N-Screen Service Gateway Design and Development for Smart Devices
UX Center - Samsung Electronics (2013)
When we use smart devices, user experience is separated by each application and service. In other words, what we do on one application never can be reflected on the other application or services. Thus, during this project we have focused on how to bring each scattered experience together as a whole on Samsung's platform, which we have called a Service Gateway. The service gateway consists of three different parts: Play Cover, Hub Screen and Next. Although the prototypes have been developed on mobile devices, the concept has been designed to be expanded to any smart devices, such as tablets and TVs.
- Play Cover: Its main function is to provide a user to be able to discover and consume new contents of one's own preferences only with a simple few numbers interaction. Play Cover is basically a lock screen which shows a newly updated content that a user has not seen yet and each time the user turns the screen off and back on, it shows a different content in a random order from the list of the new contents. All the contents are gathered from services that a user has registered, such as SNS and RSS feeds, and possible content types are photos, videos, and articles. If a user likes a content appears on the Play Cover, one can consume the content with a simple "play" interaction. When a user "plays" one content, it automatically creates a playlist with same type of other contents. If a user does not like the content, one can see different types of contents by left/right swiping gesture, or simply unlock it to enter the home screen. In addition, when a user turns the screen off by pressing the power button, Play Cover quickly shows a new content for a second right before the device turns off to hook the user once again.
- Hub Screen: It provides an immediate access to certain information of applications and services based on time, location and current user activities. For example, when a user gets on a bus, Hub Screen will show the bus information, and when a user arrives at a movie theater, it will show the ticket so that the user doesn't have to reopen the movie application. Since the Hub Screen is a platform that users can access at any time on the device, by opening the API, 3rd party applications can be connected to the Hub Screen.
- Next: It introduces and recommend new services and information to a user based on user's current activity. For example, when a user opens the Next when one is watching a movie trailer, the Next will provide recommendations based on the movie, such as a ticket purchase info of the closest theater which is playing the movie, an information about hidden secrets of the movie, a purchase info of an action figure from the movie and so on.
- Content Providing Method and Device. [US Patent Application #20140337412]
- Method of Providing Activity Notification and Device Thereof. [US Patent Application #20150269834]
- Method and apparatus for providing notification. [US Patent Application #20150341901]
- Method of performing a function of a device based on motion of the device and device for performing the method. [US Patent Application #20140210754]